Sunday, October 11, 2009

Soup, there it is!

This is one of my favorite easy Fall soups. It is really easy, really good and still healthy.

Fall Harvest Soup

Saute:
3 Tbsp butter
6 Cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 squash, about 2 lbs)
4 Cups cubed peeled russet potatoes (3 potatoes, about 1 1/2 lbs)

Saute for 3 min. Add:
2 Cups sliced leeks (one medium leek*)
*clean well. Leeks have a lot of grit in the base. Best way to clean them is slice them then put in them in a salad spinner. Soak, then rinse, then spin. Let me know if you have questions or don't know what a leek is. I promise it is not hard.


Saute for another minute. Add:
1 Tbsp flour. Sprinkle on mixture and stir.

Stir in:
4 Cups chicken broth
Simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender.

Once everything is soft, transfer to blender. Blend until smooth. Make sure you let steam out out of the top center piece but cover it with a towel so the mixture doesn't fly out everywhere.

Transfer back to pot but take it off the heat and add:
1 Cup milk (I typically use half and half or whole milk but last time I used skim and it turned out just fine)
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne (optional but it adds a nice little bit of heat)

Stir and serve. And it is delicious.

-- Joy

3 comments:

  1. I had this awesome soup for lunch today - LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to comment on Jackie Greene but didn't see the comment buton....so here goes: LOVE it! I listed to the song and I couldn't help but bop around at my desk. Such feel good music!

    ReplyDelete