Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Disney Food and Wine Festival




If you read this blog, you know Jeff and I are big fans of Disney. So it should come as no surprise to you that we are going to the 2010 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival at Walt Disney World this Fall. I have heard about it for years but have never been able to make it until now. I am so excited. There are 25 International kiosks set up all around the World Showcase in Epcot that serve tapas sized portions of their countries' specialty dishes and drinks. The kiosks represent countries that are already in World Showcase like France, Italy, Canada, China, Germany, Mexico and Morocco as well as lots of other countries that do not have a permanent presence in WS like Argentina, Belgium, Singapore, South Korea, South Africa, and Poland. I think I am most looking forward to trying New Zealand's wine and everything on the Ireland menu sounds fantastic to me. (Which is a little weird because who thinks of the Ireland when thinking of great cuisine around the world?But everything on this menu sounds good!)

What looks best to you? Click here to see all the menu descriptions. I want to try it all but I know I will run out of time, money and room in my stomach! Help me prioritize the must dos!

There will also be concerts throughout the 7 weeks of the festival. Look at the random assortment of talent they have lined up.

There will also be lots of food and wine seminars and demonstrations. You know this is exactly the type of event I LOVE! Here is a look at the numbers:

* More than 300 national and international wines
* 45 fabulous days long
* More than 76 kinds of international foods, each appetizer-sized portion priced $2-$5
* More than 160 of America's most celebrated chefs and Walt Disney World® Resort chefs
* 1,200 wine and beer seminars featuring more than 100 topics
* More than 1,200 fireworks rockets exploding each night over World Showcase Lagoon in "IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth" grand finale to the festival
* 135 Eat to the Beat! concerts performed
* 33,000 bottles of wine and champagne
* 1.2 million hors d-oeuvre plates
* 2.1 million Vanity Fair napkins
* 750,000 beer cups
* 690,000 sumptuous samplings
* 600,000 forks
* 338,000 wine glasses
* 100,000 miniature desserts, including creme brulee, traditional apple strudel, baklava and more
* 3,000 gallons of soup, including cheddar cheese soup (Montreal marketplace), seafood gumbo (New Orleans marketplace), and chilled tomato and garlic soup (Barcelona marketplace)
* 1,500 pounds of fresh strawberries

I can't wait to tell you all about it when we get back. I am already counting down the days.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. It all sounds SO great! Can't WAIT to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete